Transition is a challenge of IT professionals. Apart from transforming technology for the entire organization, working styles of “humans” must also change, which is the most difficult task for "Digital Transformation" in all organizations.
Currently, we are seeing ongoing changes in large private companies which are not limited to only the communication or finance and banking sectors. These business sectors are certainly sensitive to the technological world and investment in technology is their priority. However, looking deeply into this matter, we begin to realize that Thailand’s large manufacturing industries have moved towards technology application to reinforce their competitiveness, that is to say, they are raising their recognition of customer needs or at least enhancing their ability of systematic management.
Digital Economy Promotion Agency (DEPA) emphasizes 5 factors of digital transition among SMEs, mostly facing ongoing challenges for technology application. Although software and innovation application is an alternative for business development, most SMEs spend much of their time for management.
1. Digital core is how SMEs are able to operate their businesses in real-time and retrieve in-depth business data for more precise business forecast, decision making, productivity and profitability. It can also help SMEs to provide customers with better experience and support sales and marketing on the same platform.
2. Personal participation: Nowadays people are working harder, but sustain less success because of complexity in their organizations. Therefore, SMEs need to promote personnel participation and more intensive analysis to recruit and retain well-qualified personnel in the long run.
3. Business network and cooperation with suppliers are the key to creating more value for organizations for universality. Upcoming challenges will be the best opportunity to link all eco-systems.
4. Assets and Internet of Thing (IoT): SMEs can further improve IoT to create more value for customers along with developing new business models and new sources of revenues by seeking more alliances.
5. SME transformation: Apart from continued support from the private sector, government organizations have an important role in supporting and encouraging SMEs to move towards digital technology through various assistance centers such as One Stop Service and entrepreneur registration. These will help SMEs to survive and sustain more business success.
Finally, improvement of the digital infrastructure is a strategy that will enhance an organization’s competitiveness and completely serve customer needs in the digital era based on integrated functions of digital technology and business operations in order to create more value and lead dramatic changes in both processes and human resources. However, organizations need to understand their roles and application of technology, ranging from strategy formulation to achievement of operations as mentioned above.